By Robert Chazan
Read Online or Download AJS Review (The Journal of the Association for Jewish Studies), Vol 18, No. 2 1993 PDF
Similar jewish books
The 1st complete comparative interpretation of Samuel Holdheims radical Reform philosophy within the context of the highbrow, cultural, and political event of mid-nineteenth century German Jewry, supplied via prime foreign students within the box of Jewish highbrow historical past.
Yehuda Amichai (1924–2000) was once the key Israeli poet of the 20 th century and an across the world influential literary determine whose poetry has been translated into a few forty languages. Hitherto, no accomplished literary examine of Amichai's poetry has seemed in English. This long-awaited e-book seeks to fill the distance.
- The Individual in History: Essays in Honor of Jehuda Reinharz
- Encyclopaedia Judaica Volume 22 (Thematic Outline & Index)
- The Studia Philonica Annual XXI, 2009
- Association for Jewish studies 2002-26(2)
- The Chosen Folks: Jews on the Frontiers of Texas
- The Ordeal of Civility: Freud, Marx, Levi-Strauss, and the Jewish Struggle With Modernity
Additional info for AJS Review (The Journal of the Association for Jewish Studies), Vol 18, No. 2 1993
296. In my thesis, I suggestedthatHadratQodeshwas writtenin the year 1349. be-doranm, This was an error. 30. Yuval,Hakhanzinz be-dorant,pp. 295-300. I have foundno othersecondaryliterature on the work. 31. If Gerson Cohen is correct in his characterization of messianic attitudesamong medieval AshkenazicJews ("MessianicPosturesof Ashkenazimand Sefardim,"Studiesof the Leo Baeck Institute[New York, 1967]), then the imminentmessianismof Simeon ben Samuel,MenahemZioni, and the othersnotedby Yuval be-doranz,pp.
SeligmanBing, andothers)was geographicallyandnumericallylimited,and he statesonce more:"Thecenterof culturethatarosein Prague... is theonly one in which the intensivestudyof philosophyor kabbalahcan be detected. The churchwas dividedby schism;Bohemia would shortlybe shakenby the Hussiteheresies. 28 theworkwas completed Accordingto the colophonof one of the manuscripts, 25. , pp. 287-290. Cf. the discussionof Zioni in Davis, "R. Yom Tov Lipman Heller,"pp. 90-95. 26. Yuval,Hakhamimn be-dorant,p. 305.
73. See alsoH. H. Ben-Sasson,"Mishnato Cf. also Israelof Brunn,She'elotu-Teshuvot, ha-Hevratitshel R. YohananLuria,"Zion 27 (1962): 166-198, and his "JewishChristian Disputationin the Setting of Humanismand Reformationin the GermanEmpire,"Harvard TheologicalReview59 (1966): 369-390. Additionalexamplesalso exist of the studyof kabbalah:for instance,R. SolomonKolonin Alsace. Judaismin NorthernFrancein the fourteenthcenturymayhavebeen differentfromthatin Germany,but note also that in a responsum(publishedby J.